Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Change Is Gunna Come...

I wanted to do this yesterday, but unlike most people, as well as most media outlets, I didn't want to declare a premature victory for Barack Obama. I would not even accept his defeat of John McCain until Obama actually acquired 270 electorial college votes. Now that it's all said and done, and I am not afraid of jinxing it, I am ready to discuss. 

The passion that I felt for supporting Obama in this election cannot even parallel anything I have ever felt before. For the first time, I cared deeply about the direction of this country. Maybe it was because I could actually make a difference. Maybe it was because I have seen my family and friends time after time go to war. Maybe it was because I was more educated. Regardless, for the first time I wanted to know what could be done for this country, and I saw a person who I could unconditionally place my faith in to lead. 

At first, I was unsure of what I thought of Obama. I liked him, I thought it was educated and driven, yet I was unsure of what the country would do because he is black. Now, I know people voted for him because he is the right choice, and that people were able to look past his color, and see what he can accomplish. 

I would be lying if I said I was skeptical of Obama's lack of experience in comparison to McCain. I was, at first. But the first time I heard his "Yes, we can." I knew it didn't matter. Experience was not an issue in this race. This country needs change. Our people want change. Change cannot be brought about by someone so heavily influenced by our political system. I know that Obama's changes will take time, as anything worthwhile does, but he will do it. He will be the man to make people, for the first time in a long time, stand up and say "I am proud of my country." 

Obama has already begun this change. He is the first black president of the United States, for crying outloud. Whoever thought that was possible? In his acceptance speech, he spoke of that 106 year old woman who voted today. She saw women receive the right to vote. She saw black people gain the right to vote. And she lived through the Civil Rights Movement, in the South. If there is anything that I feel guilty about in this election, it is that I have no idea the multitude of feelings that African Americans are feeling right now. 

Although there are few ways in which I compare to Mr. Obama, there are two that stand out in my mind. The first, is the unbelievable pride that I am feeling for this country right now. That we were able to look past color and adversity and vote for who we put our trust in. Secondly, Obama has worked so hard to get where he is. The son of a Kenyan immigrant, there are so many things that could have not worked in his favor, but he refused to accept defeat. He worked to get into Columbia, and he worked to get into Harvard. He was the first president of the Harvard Law Review. And now he is the President of the U.S. 

Although my accomplishments are obviously not as great, I have worked very hard to get where I am. At a school where so many kids are here to please their parents, I worked my ass off to get in here and stay here. I not only gained admission, but I gained admission from the wait list to a top public communications school. I worked hard my entire year to still look good while my peers slacked off, and every effort put in to gaining admission, I did entirely on my own. Not to toot my own horn, it is just my proudest accomplishment. I believe that it is my time here, studying at Newhouse, which has made me so passionate for events such as this election. 

In a communications school, a heavy focus is placed on appealing to demographics, and how we segment people in the country. If one were to study this, they realize that although we are all in the same country, we are all very different. President Obama (it just sounds so right) somehow found a way to break down these barriers that segment people and appeal to such a vast selection and majority. It really is mind blowing. This was the largest voter turn out since 1920- when the 19th amendment gave women the right to vote. The fact that he could reach out to young voters, who up until now were virtually non existent in politics, and say to them "I know, I understand and I will work for you." Something about his message just struck a chord with young voters, and these voters will continue their political involvement now. Even Obama's speechwriter is only 26 years old. 

This morning and whole day was just a life changing experience for me. I woke up this morning and watched the "Yes We Can" speech, which is one of the most inspirational, if not THE most inspirational speech I've ever heard. Then I remembered a song, which I was surprised Obama's campaign had never used before, called "A Change Gone Come" by Sam Cooke. Originally written about the Civil Rights Movement, it can obviously be applied to Obama. I cried listening to it. As I walked through campus and saw all my fellow students with "I voted" stickers, Obama t-shirts, and even McCain t-shirts, I was just so inspired that my generation could finally be acknowledged for something positive- breaking barriers and a willingness to say "something needs to be done, and I want to help." Seeing the outburst of joy after Obama was declared the winner just strengthened this warmth, like nothing I have ever felt before. 

Even now, I can't get that song out of my head. 

"It's been a long, long time coming. But I know a change gon' come." 

Congratulations Barack Obama, you deserve it. 

No comments: